Bees of the Northeast
Online course taught by Spencer Hardy through North Branch Nature Center
- Bees of Canada image database
- Discover Life – Identification – Start the identification process by determining the bee genus you have by using this guide.
- Mitchell’s The Bees of the Eastern United States – Theodore Mitchell’s two volume set The Bees of the Eastern United States was published in 1960 (part I) and 1962 (part II). This set remains the most comprehensive treatment of the eastern North American bee fauna.
- Pennsylvania Citizen-Scientist Bee Monitoring Full and Pocket Guide
An instructional handbook for native bee survey efforts, used by the Penn State Master Gardener Program. The handbook assists users in identifying native bees to broad morphological categories for assessing general pollinator abundance and diversity. Developed in collaboration with the Xerces Society, this guide is useful in identifying broad groups of bees throughout the Northeastern U.S.
- BugGuide – bees
- Bees of Maryland: A Field Guide
- Download Identification Slide Shows by Sam Droege:
- The Power of Pollinators: Bee Biology and Identification (slide show)
Manuals and Technical Materials
- Handy Bee Manual: How to Catch and Identify Bees and Manage a Collection – A Collective and Ongoing Effort by Those Who Love to Study Bees in North America
Conservation and Management
- Nests for Native Bees from the Xerces Society
- Pollinator Conservation Resource Center – Xerces Society
- Wild Pollinators of Eastern Apple Orchards and How to Conserve Them
- Farming for Bees: Guidelines for Providing Native Bee Habitat on Farms – Xerces Society
Other Bee Sites