- Status in VT: Decreased by 69% (35 to 11 blocks). Greatest decreases in Northern Green Mountains, Southern Green Mountains, Taconic Mountains, Vermont Valley.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S2S3B; SSC; SGCN-H
- Other atlases: NY: -49%; PA: -19%; ON: -29%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is near the northeastern edge of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Changes in agricultural practices including early hay harvest and more intensive management of other row crops; conversion of agricultural habitats to urban/suburban development; old field succession and farm abandonment also decreasing habitat availability; area-sensitive.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations: No current recommendations.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds