With a goal of expanding knowledge and promoting conservation, the Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas is dedicated to open data. This atlas is a free public resource.
With more than 80,000 breeding bird records, the atlas data sets are available from the Vermont Atlas of Life IPT and the Global Biodiversity Information Infrastructure.
If you use this data, please cite us and send us a copy of the report or publication. Finally, data management takes time and money. Please consider supporting the atlas by making a donation to our parent project — the Vermont Atlas of Life.
- The First Breeding Bird Atlas of Vermont (1976-1981)
- The Second Breeding Bird Atlas of Vermont (2003-2007)
View Data on the Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas Explorer
BBA Explorer offers data from the VBBA. It allows users to get species and block information and to view the results by species, block, or region in a table or map format.
Published Atlas Books
- Laughlin, Sarah B. and Douglas P. Kibbe, eds. 1985. The Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Vermont. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England. 456pp. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.11449779.v1
- Renfrew, R. B., ed. 2013. The Second Atlas of Breeding Birds of Vermont. University Press of New England, Hanover, NH. 548 pp. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.11499330.v1
- van der Hoek, Y., Wilson, A. M., Renfrew, R., Walsh, J., Rodewald, P. G., Baldy, J., & Manne, L. L. (2015). Regional variability in extinction thresholds for forest birds in the north‐eastern United States: an examination of potential drivers using long‐term breeding bird atlas datasets. Diversity and Distributions, 21(6), 686-697. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/ddi.12327
- van der Hoek, Y., Renfrew, R., & Manne, L. L. (2013). Assessing regional and interspecific variation in threshold responses of forest breeding birds through broad scale analyses. PloS one, 8(2), e55996. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0055996
- Laughlin, S. B., Kibbe, D. P., & Eagles, P. F. (1982). Atlasing the distribution of the breeding birds of. American Birds. https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/nab/v036n01/p00006-p00019.pdf