- Status in VT: Decreased by 50% (2 to 1 block). Decrease in Northeastern Highlands.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S1; E; SGCN-H
- Other atlases: NY: -50%; ON: no sig. change
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is at the southeastern edge of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Habitat loss; extirpation of populations in small patches of habitat.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Restore subpopulations to formerly occupied habitats using stock from core populations; follow habitat management guidelines for suitable Spruce Grouse habitat.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds