- Status in VT: Decreased by 1% (172 to 170 blocks). Decreases in Southern Vermont Piedmont and Champlain Valley.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S4S5; SGCN-M
- Other atlases: NY: -18%; PA: -33%; ON: declines in south, 27% increase in Northern Shield.
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Early successional habitat in decline (?).
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Promote use of even age forest stand management; retain aspen-birch stands and soft mast; enhance shrub growth along roads and around seeps; plant legumes on forest roads and clearings; save clumps of conifers for winter cover. Recommendations for Private Landowners.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds