- Status in VT: Decreased by 8% (12 to 11 blocks). Decrease in southern portions of the state.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S2S3B; SSC; SGCN-H
- Other atlases: NY: 47%; PA: -13%; ON: Slight local increases in several areas.
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Unknown. Potential threats: invasive aquatic plants; mercury accumulation; degradation of aquatic systems.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Protection of large marsh ecosystems; maintenance of consistent water levels during breeding season; protection of nest sites from boat wakes; standardized surveys.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds