- Status in VT: Increased by 2,800% (1 to 29 blocks). Greatest increases in Champlain Valley.
- Data from other research: VTFWD: nearly 100 nests documented in 2008.
- Conservation status: State rank S3B; SGCN-M
- Other atlases: MA: dramatic increase in first 2 years of Atlas; NY: 147%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Removal of DDT, which caused eggshell thinning and subsequent nest failure; installation of man-made nest platforms.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations: Installation and maintenance of nest structures; annual nest monitoring
- Visit the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Fact Sheet for more information
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds