- Status in VT: Decreased by 26% (19 to 14 blocks). Greatest decreases in Southern Green Mountains and Taconic Mountains.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S3B; S3N
- Other atlases: NY: 13%; PA: 280%; ON: increased
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Logging of mature forest stands, particularly removal of coniferous roosting trees; highly nomadic species that produces more young during high mast years.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Erection of nest boxes; targeted surveys to more accurately track status.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds