- Status in VT: Decreased by 5% (177 to 169 blocks). Greatest change in Vermont Valley (-20%).
- Data from other research: FMBP: Decreased by 10%
- Conservation status: State rank S5B
- Other atlases: MD, NY, ON, PA: minimal change
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Minimal change; concerns include: lack of standing dead trees for nesting; competition for nest cavities; reduced prey availability due to pesticide application on golf courses and suburban lawns.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Investigate effects of climate change on distribution.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds