- Status in VT: Decreased by 70% (10 to 3 blocks). Decreases occurred in Champlain Valley and Northern Vermont Piedmont.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S1B; SSC
- Other atlases: NY: -45%; ON: non-significant increase in all regions
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is at the southern edge of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Increase in row crops such as corn or soy beans; early mowing of hayfields.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations: Targeted surveys to clarify status.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds