- Status in VT: Increased by 3% (172 to 177 blocks). Greatest increase in Southern Green Mountains.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S5B
- Other atlases: MD, NY, ON, PA: all showed increases
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Minimal change; BBS data suggest that population has not recovered from pre-1982 declines because of loss of nesting sites (fewer outbuildings; changes in architecture; changes in culvert design).
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:No specific recommendations.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds