- Status in VT: Decreased by 6% (156 to 147 survey blocks). Greatest decreases in Northeastern Highlands and Northern Green Mountains.
- Data from other research: No additional data in VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S5B; SGCN-M
- Other atlases: PA: 14%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Habitat loss resulting from development or reforestation; early and more frequent harvesting of hay during breeding season.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations: Maintain grassland habitat; delay cutting until at least 7 July (ideally 15 July to 1 August), or limit first cutting of hayfields to dates earlier than 1 June, and second cutting to no earlier than 65 days after first cutting; establish a minimum of one large grassland reserve in the Champlain Valley (1,000 ha) specifically for Bobolink and other grassland birds.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds