- Status in VT: Decreased by 15% (33 to 28 blocks). Greatest decrease in Northern Vermont Piedmont.
- Data from other research: MBW 2001-2009: non-significant 1.1% annual decline.
- Conservation status: State rank S4B; SSC; SGCN-M
- Other atlases: NY: 46%; PA: 100%; ON: 44%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the southeastern edge of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Unknown. Potential threats: climate warming; acidic precipitation; mercury bioaccumulation; development of montane forest habitat.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Undertake effort to combat climate change.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds