- Status in VT: No records of this species were documented in survey blocks during either Atlas, but summer sightings have increased in the past decade. Based on events in CT and NY, this increase foreshadows a breeding event in VT.
- Data from other research: No additional data in VT.
- Conservation status: State rank SNA
- Other atlases: NY: zero blocks to 100 blocks; PA: 130%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is at the northern edge of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Increased availability of food items, especially road-killed deer.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations: No specific recommendations.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds