- Status in VT: Decreased by 32% (79 to 54 blocks). Greatest decrease in Vermont Valley.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S3B; S5N; SGCN-H; SSC
- Other atlases: MD: -31%; NY: -34%; ON: -22%; PA: -65%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Habitat loss and increased disturbance levels from shoreline development; coastal erosion; filling of wetlands; hunting; possible competition with Mallards.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Close monitoring of annual harvest; year-round population monitoring.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds