- Status in VT: Decreased by 38% (13 to 8 blocks). Lost from Northeastern Highlands, Northern Vermont Piedmont, Taconic Mountains, Vermont Valley.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S1S2B; SSC
- Other atlases: NY: substantial local decrease; PA: -36%; ON: -35%; MD: -15%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is on the northeastern periphery of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Unknown, but potential exists for invasive plant species altering structure of cattail marshes and negatively affecting local populations.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Conduct surveys using standardized protocol.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds