- Status in VT: Decreased by 73% (22 to 6 blocks). Greatest decrease in Northern Vermont Piedmont.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S2; SSC
- Other atlases: NY: 12%; ON: no sig. change.
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is at the southern edge of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Spruce budworm outbreak during first Atlas may have temporarily boosted populations (?); reduction in area of spruce–fir forest and the number of mature conifers per unit area in northeastern VT caused by tree mortality from spruce budworm outbreak and increased logging.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Protection of boreal forest.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds