- Status in VT: Decreased by 85% (13 to 2 blocks). Greatest decreases in Northern Green Mountains, Northern Vermont Piedmont, and Taconic Mountains.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S2B; E; SGCN-H
- Other atlases: PA: -56%; NY: -65%; MD:-86%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is surrounded by, but is not commonly part of, the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Loss and fragmentation of open, suitable grassland habitat; earlier and more frequent haying.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Delay mowing until at least 15 July; maintain or increase large, contiguous grassland areas; where possible, replace row crops with permanent grasses.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds