- Status in VT: No change. First breeding records in mid-1800s with nesting population from 200-300 breeding pairs until the mid-1960s. During first Atlas, population may have dipped below 100 pairs on Young Island. During second Atlas, 150 nests on Young Island (2007) and a single nest on Popasquash Island (2004).
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S1B; S5N
- Other atlases: NY: -13%; PA: 58%
- VT’s role in North American range:Champlain Islands are a part of breeding range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: No change.
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:No current recommendations.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds