- Status in VT: Decreased by 26% (159 to 117 blocks). Greatest decrease in Northern Vermont Piedmont.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S4B; SSC; SGCN-M
- Other atlases: NY: -15%; PA: -2%; ON: -46%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Reduction in aerial insect populations; intolerance of homeowners to birds in chimneys; human use of chimneys during summer (may kill nestlings); capping of chimneys; use of steel liners in chimneys (too smooth for nesting).
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Provisioning of artificial chimneys.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds