- Status in VT: Decreased by 33% (6 to 4 blocks). Decrease in Champlain Valley.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S1B; SSC; SGCN-M
- Other atlases: NY: 1%; PA: -36%; MD: 13%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is in the northeastern corner of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Death of trees on Young Island due to expanding nesting population of cormorants; disturbance from efforts to disperse cormorants (?).
- Management/Monitoring recommendations:Reduce cormorant numbers, re-establish trees, and hold human disturbances to a minimum on Young Island.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds