- Status in VT: Increased by 33% (3 to 4 blocks). Occurs only in the Northeastern Highlands.
- Data from other research: No additional data for VT.
- Conservation status: State rank S2B; SGCN-M
- Other atlases: NY: -63%; ON: no sig. change; ON (Northern Shield): 22%
- VT’s role in North American range: VT is within the core of the range.
- Causes of change since first Atlas: Unknown. Potential threats: harvesting of spruce-fir forests; reduction in prey due to spraying to control spruce budworm outbreaks (?).
- Management/Monitoring recommendations: No current recommendations.
First Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (1976-1981)
Second Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas (2003 – 2007)
Change in Distribution
Encyclopedia of Life
All About Birds